Because we deserve to get more out of our makeup products.
With the beauty industry going strong, we’re demanding more and more out of our makeup—and that’s not a bad thing! We deserve to get more out of the products that are sitting on our faces all day and all night. So when we ask for the best concealer for acne, we want more than just something that will cover those blemishes up as if they were never there. Yes, it’s true: there are concealers out there that not only won’t worsen your breakout, but actually have their own benefits for acne-prone skin too!
How to choose the best concealer for acne
As you might have guessed, a lot of it comes down to the ingredients. There are so many ingredients in your makeup bag that could secretly be causing your breakouts in the first place by clogging up your pores.
While it’s tempting to think that a powdery dry or oil-free formula can help you control your breakouts, it could actually be drying out your skin and causing further imbalance in your skin. Remember: not all oils are alike! Some actually contain nutrients that help balance out your skin’s overproduction of sebum, or are even antibacterial to help put an end to acne-causing bacteria. In other words, be open to trying something new! Makeup products have come a long way in their innovative formulas, and what didn’t work for you before might have a better version on the market now.
Not-so-ideal ingredients for acne
- Cocoa butter: This plant butter may be deeply moisturizing, but it may clog your pores and is better off as a body lotion ingredient.
- Silicones: Creates a tight smooth finish on skin, but isn’t the easiest to wash off skin and can end up drying up skin and clogging pores.
- PEG compounds: Petroleum-based compounds that may not only clog your pores, but has been found to be contaminated with the carcinogen 1,4-dioxane.
- Talc: Used as a powder to absorb oil, but do note that the FDA cannot verify that all talc formulations are free of contamination by asbestos, a known human carcinogen.
Good ingredients for acne
- Shea butter: This anti-inflammatory ingredient is a lot less likely to clog your pores than cocoa butter!
- Argan oil: Argan oil is naturally non-comedogenic, and is rich in linoleic acid that can help balance out acne-prone skin!
- Jojoba oil: Similar in composition to your sebum, so it’s compatible with your skin and can help rebalance oily skin.
- Green tea: Anti-bacterial, soothes inflammation, and can even help reduce sebum production too.
- Silica: Usually sourced from rice or bamboo, this lightweight oil-absorbing powder is a healthier alternative to talc.
Best concealers for acne
Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer from W3ll People
This concealer certainly lives up to its name. It’s a full coverage concealer that flawlessly covers blemishes, while still being lightweight and non-creasing. It contains pomegranate seed oil and green tea extract that come with anti-aging benefits, hydrating algae extract, and even coffee seed oil that can help increase circulation to lessen the appearance of dark circles.
2nd Skin Corrector in Green from 100% Pure
This silky concealer formula is packed with nourishing ingredients that deliver perfect coverage and help soothe breakouts. The highly pigmented formula is actually colored with anti-inflammatory matcha green tea that calms down pimples, and is the perfect hue for correcting redness in skin tone. This oil-free formula is a must-have for acne-prone skin.
Transcendent Concentrated Concealer from Pacifica
This liquid concealer is our pick for dry skin types. It’s ultra creamy and moisturizing, thanks to jojoba oil and coconut water, but is lightweight and never feels greasy on skin. The smooth formula is perfect for applying over dark circles, acne, acne scars, dark spots, and fine lines.
Concealer from Lily Lolo
Sometimes going with something simple is the way to avoid the most irritation with your skin. This mineral concealer works to cover blemishes and achieves a matte finish, perfect for absorbing excess oil throughout the day. Featuring 4 simple ingredients that do their job without hurting your skin.
The Ethereal Veil Conceal and Cover from Rituel de Fille
We’re in love with the range of shades this cream concealer comes in. Despite its rich texture, it’s still easily blendable into skin to create the perfect natural silky finish. The base of jojoba oil and castor oil on lightweight on skin, yet still intensely moisturizing. This concealer formula has just the right amount of balance!
Additional tips for applying concealer on acne:
- Always start with clean skin so you’re not locking any debris or bacteria into your pores with your concealer.
- Not getting the ideal coverage? Patting your concealer in, rather than rubbing it in might work better for you!
- Is your concealer making you break out instead? Time to toss it. It might be expired, or you might be allergic or sensitive to one of the ingredients.
- Cleanse your skin after wearing makeup to similarly clear your pores and prevent build up.
Concealing acne doesn’t always mean you’re losing the pimple game. They can go a long way in protecting your skin against further infection, while giving you the confidence to still rock that natural makeup or glam look. Don’t give up on finding what works best for you!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.